The United States Postal Service no longer publishes nationwide listings of its facilities. News about post office openings and closings can be notoriously sporadic and difficult to come by, especially with so many changes underway.
The Post Mark Collectors Club's vaunted Post Office Directory
is a service offered to help individuals maintain and complete their state or county collections.
The Directory includes up-to-date, accurate information for all U.S. states and territories, as well as for U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships.
Each state listing includes information regarding every:
Don't be intimidated!
Find a Directory guide here
- Independent Post Office
- Classified station and branch
- Contract Postal Unit (CPU and CPO)
- Carrier annex and mail processing facility
- Each facility's ZIP code and county
- Information about recent openings, suspensions, and discontinuances
- Notes of interest for unique postmarks
- Addresses of major facilities, CPUs, and [in recent listings] carrier annexes
Information is compiled by outstanding State Directors led by PMCC member Kent Bickell. While the PMCC cannot assure complete accuracy, our information is cross-referenced among multiple sourcesofficial and otherwise. State listings are updated regularly.
In addition to serving postmark collectors, the Post Office Directory is utilized by multiple libraries, researchers, and philatelic organizations.
Two lists for each state are available: ALPHA
lists are all-inclusive, with stations, branches, and CPUs listed both alphabetically and with their parent office [see sidebar]. COUNTY
supplements are also available for each state.
State lists are available for individual ordering, though many new collectors opt for a complete Post Office Directory, complete with binder. The full Directory is available on a computer-readable CD.
The Florida post office listing has most recently been fully revised.
How to Order:
|# of Directories
|1 or 2 ||$0.49 |
|3 ||$0.70 |
|4 ||$0.91 |
|5 ||$1.61 |
|6 ||$1.82 |
|7 ||$2.03 |
|8 ||$2.24 |
|9 ||$2.45 |
|10 ||$2.66 |
|11 ||$2.87 |
|12 ||$3.08 |
|13+ ||$5.60* |
2. Mark the list(s) you want on the order form.
3. For individual state list orders, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, large enough to accommodate your order, with appropriate postage.
[See sidebar: →]
[Postage is $10.00 for the full binder; the cost for the CD includes postage. *For 13 or more individual lists, no return envelope is necessary; include the postage amount with your payment.]
4. Include a check or money-order payable to PMCC.
Non-members: please add applicable surcharge of 50¢ per state listing, unless ordering the complete 50-state binder or CD-ROM.
Mail check/money-order and order form to:
PO Box 265
Poquonock, CT 06064